SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - The San Diego Humane Society is offering free microchipping for all pets during the month of December.
The humane society will offer free microchipping in anticipation of New Year's Eve. The shelter said it typically sees an increase in lost pets around the start of the year.
Firework sounds and displays can frighten pets and if they aren't properly secured, can cause them to run away.
The society will offer free microchipping on select days in December:
- San Diego location (5500 Gaines St.) - Every Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Oceanside location (572 Airport Rd.) - Every Wednesday, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Escondido location (3450 E. Valley Parkway) - Every Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. (closed Dec. 24 and 31)
Pet caregivers recommend owners to take precautions when fireworks and loud celebrations are held in neighborhoods:
- Don't take pets to fireworks displays,
- Bring pets indoors before fireworks displays begin,
- Make sure pets have access to their favorite "safe place" or find a quiet, comfortable, enclosed room where the animal can "hide" if needed,
- Leave the radio or television on for background noise, and
- Get pets micro-chipped.