A local woman told 10News she was forced to put her dog down several weeks after a visit to a groomer.
Sue Galaway said she took her 11-year-old golden retriever Buff to a Poway Petco store for grooming in early March, but when she went to check on him, she felt that something was wrong.
Galaway said Buff had trouble walking after the session and gradually developed an infection.
Galaway told 10News she believes mistakes at the Petco's grooming department led to Buff's death.
Soon after, Buff passed away.
In a statement, Petco said the company is "deeply saddened by Buff's passing" and added, "We provide grooming services to thousands of happy customers every day, and we take reports of injuries or animal care concerns in our stores and grooming salons very seriously … Buff's case has been no exception."
Watch the full report in the video player above.