SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - Today marks one year since San Diego police Officer Jonathan "JD" De Guzman was shot and killed in the line of duty.
On July 28, 2016, De Guzman and his partner, Officer Wade Irwin, were conducting a traffic stop in the Southcrest area when a man opened fire.
De Guzman, 43, was taken to the hospital but died from his injuries. Irwin survived after also being shot.
Earlier this year, De Guzman's wife Jane spoke to 10News reporter Melissa Mecija about her loss and the last day she saw her husband.
She said for whatever reason, on that July day, she hugged her husband a little longer as he headed out the door for work.
"The last word I heard from him was 'I love you, hon' … I think that's the most important thing you have to say to someone because you never know," Jane De Guzman said.
- 2 SDPD officers shot in Southcrest area
- Fallen officer remembered in emotional memorial service
- Thousands line procession route to pay their respects to Officer De Guzman
- Widow of San Diego police officer killed in line of duty shares her story
- Officer injured in shooting that killed partner speaks for the first time
- SDPD come out to support fallen officer's daughter on her graduation day
- History of SDPD officers killed in the line of duty
- Police search park for evidence in De Guzman murder
On July 29, San Diego police and members of the community will take part in the "GS 24 Memorial WOD Partner Workout" at several CrossFit gyms around San Diego County.
"GS 24" was De Guzman's radio call sign.
The workouts will be held at the following locations:
-- 8 a.m. at Alpine Ranch Crossfit (5001 Willows Rd. #J105, Alpine, CA 91901)
-- 8:30 a.m. at Crossfit Pride (8630 Argent St., Santee, CA 92071)
-- 9 a.m. at Crossfit 858 (7630 Miramar Rd. #2500, San Diego, CA 92126)
-- 9:30 a.m. at Boombox Crossfit SD (5745 Kearny Villa Rd. #113, San Diego, CA 92123)
Several CrossFit boxes will be raising funds for the SDPD Police Officers Association and Orphan's Fund. Click here for more information
Jesse Michael Gomez, who was arrested in connection with the shooting, is scheduled to appear in court for a status conference on September 29.
No trial date has been set.