Monte Vista football coach resigns after student injured during game

Posted at 8:39 PM, Oct 04, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-05 11:08:42-04

SPRING VALLEY (KGTV) -- A Monte Vista football coach previously involved in a concussion lawsuit has resigned after another football player was injured during last Thursday night’s game.

In a statement to 10News, the high school confirmed that, during the game, a player self-reported a potential concussion to the school’s athletic trainer.

In the trainer’s initial review, the school says there were no noticeable signs of a concussion, but the player was deemed ineligible to return to the game until being examined by a “qualified medical professional.”

RELATED: San Diego teen coping with traumatic football injury  

The head football coach, Jess Barragan, was notified and the student then reportedly walked home.

The athlete’s family wasn’t contacted about the injury. Following the game, the school says Barragan decided to resign effective October 2.

Barragan was involved in a previously-settled concussion lawsuit which was sparked after a player, Rashaun Council, took a hit on the field. 

The 19-year-old former honor student and two-sport athlete’s life was changed forever during a football game on October 17, 2013. At the time, Council was playing for the Monte Vista High School freshman football team.

According to the lawsuit filed by the family in 2014, the teenager “complained to his football coaches that he had begun to feel ill.”

RELATED: High school player's lawsuit is football's latest concussion crisis

The lawsuit stated that his coaches failed to alert medical personnel. According to the family's attorney, Brian Gonzales, Council complained he didn't feel well. The teen ended up back on the field and, after the game, began vomiting before collapsing. 

Council was suffering from a concussion and had a subdural hematoma. He would spend the next eight months in the hospital. Now, he’s unable to drive and still has difficulty walking and communicating. The family settled their lawsuit with the Grossmont Union High School District for about $7.1 million.

The family also settled a lawsuit with helmet maker Riddell for an undisclosed amount.