NewsLocal News


Teen identified after deadly jump from Carmel Valley bridge following crash

Posted at 1:58 PM, Jul 11, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-12 18:05:09-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Authorities have identified one of the teens killed after he was believed to have mistakenly jumped from a bridge following a crash on a Carmel Valley freeway.

According to the medical examiner, 18-year-old Ruben Ortiz Jr., died after jumping from the bridge on State Route 56 near Carmel Valley Road around 11 p.m. Tuesday. The other teen who died after jumping from the bridge was a 17-year-old male California Highway Patrol says was the driver of the vehicle.

A family friend says the 17-year-old was Jesse Garcia. A gofundme page has been started for him here.

Two teenage girls were also seriously injured.

RELATED: 2 dead, 2 teen girls injured after jump from San Diego bridge following car crash

According to the CHP, a Nissan Altima was traveling on the road when the car spun out for unknown reasons and crashed into a barrier.

CHP says when the car came to a stop, it was facing oncoming traffic. Witnesses told CHP that six people got out of the car, running across the freeway lanes toward the right shoulder to avoid oncoming traffic.

Four people from the group then jumped over the right shoulder, not realizing they were jumping off the bridge, CHP says.

The four fell 50-75 feet from the structure, and CHP officials said two males died at the scene.

A 14-year-old girl and 15-year-old girl were taken to Scripps La Jolla Hospital with injuries of unknown severity.

The two others from the group, who reportedly fled the scene after the crash, were located by police late Tuesday night, according to CHP. One of the teenagers is 14-years-old while the other is 15.

RELATED: Man falls from SR-125 after crash

According to Escondido police, the vehicle involved in the crash was involved in two separate police chases on July 9. Police say the responded to a crash on Broadway and North Avenue. Although the Altima wasn't involved in that crash, officers reported that they saw people getting into the vehicle who may have been involved in the crash.

When officers tried to pull the Altima over, the driver sped away. The second pursuit happened later in the day around 12:30 p.m., police say.

Both chases were terminated after police determined speeds were too high.