NewsLocal News


Bail set at $2 million for suspect in Logan Heights officer-involved shooting

Posted at 12:49 PM, Sep 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-09-19 20:24:51-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- Bail was set at $2 million Thursday at an arraignment for the suspect in an officer-involved shooting in Logan Heights.

Police say 30-year-old Enrique Aguilar had at least one bullet wound when two patrolmen fired on him as he allegedly shot at them with a handgun in the 34-hundred block of National Avenue on Monday afternoon.

The events that led to the volley of gunfire began shortly before 3:30 that afternoon when an officer tried to contact Aguilar and another man on suspicion of involvement in "illegal narcotic activity'' on the 900 block of South 35th Street in Mountain View.

RELATED: Video captures officer-involved shooting in Logan Heights

"The officer believed he was involved in a drug transaction or a drug sale," Deputy District Attorney, Nerida Melgarejo said. "The officer tried to contact the defendant, but the defendant immediately took off running."

Officers said Aguilar threw down a backpack and bag during the pursuit and ran behind a parked RV. Once backup officers arrived, they say Aguilar pointed a 45 caliber semi-automatic gun at them and began to shoot. In the firey exchange, officers hit Aguilar once in the torso, then took him into custody.

"Later, it was determined that the defendant had almost an ounce of methamphetamine on him as well," Melgarejo said.

Melgarejo said Aguilar continued to resist arrest even while he was getting treatment at the hospital. She said he battered a nurse and tried to punch several other officers. Aguilar now faces eight felonies, including two counts of attempted murder.

RELATED: Team 10: Man in officer-involved shooting in Logan Heights faced attempted murder charge before

10News first told you that Aguilar's criminal past dates back to 2008. He has been arrested at least seven times and charged with attempted robbery and attempted murder. He is not allowed to have a firearm. Because of the facts of this case and his criminal history, the judge stated that Aguilar is an "extreme danger to the community," and set his bail at $2 million.

The officers who fired on the suspect, one of whom has been with the San Diego Police Department for 24 years and the other for two years, have not been publicly identified.

If convicted, Aguilar faces a maximum of life in prison.