NewsLocal News


San Diego woman’s mother who disappeared in Zion National Park found

Holly Courtier
Posted at 2:23 PM, Oct 18, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-19 16:58:35-04

(KGTV) — A San Diego woman’s mother who disappeared in Zion National Park nearly two weeks ago has been found alive, according to her family.

Holly Courtier, 38, was last seen entering the Utah park on Oct. 6, before she was reported missing by her family.

The National Park Service said search and rescue teams located Courtier on Sunday after receiving, "a credible tip from a park visitor that they had seen Courtier within the park."

RELATED: San Diego woman’s mother missing in Zion National Park

Courtier’s daughter Kailey Chambers, of San Diego, told ABC-affiliate KABC that her mother is an experienced hiker and had recently bought a van to visit various national parks after losing her job due to the pandemic.

In a statement, Courtier's family thanked park rangers for their relentless efforts to find her.

"We would like thank the rangers and search teams who relentlessly looked for her day and night and never gave up hope. We are also so grateful to the countless volunteers who were generous with their time, resources and support. This wouldn't have been possible without the network of people who came together," a family statement read.

In text messages with CNN on Monday, Chambers gave an explanation for what happened to her mother during the two weeks she was missing.

"She injured her head on a tree," Chambers texted. "She was very disoriented as a result and thankfully ended up near a water source -- a river bed. She thought her best chance of survival was to stay next to a water source."

In the texts, Chambers says her mother went without food the entire time she was missing.

"She was too weak and disoriented (to seek help)," she said. "She was unable to take more than a step or two without collapsing. This prevented her from being able to seek out help. She told me she was so dehydrated she couldn't open her mouth."

Chambers said her mother remains hospitalized Monday as she hydrates and gets her strength back.

"We are slowly introducing foods. Her health remains our top priority," said Chambers. "My mom's recovery is my top priority right now. ... We will continue to focus on her health and will update everyone when possible."

Since Courtier was found, she and her family have been tight-lipped about what occurred and how she survived. Chambers' texts with CNN have been the only communication the family has had with the media.

KSTU contributed to this report