SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Whether you're out for the night in the Gaslamp District or heading to a friend's for a NYE soiree, there's plenty of options to get around on Dec. 31 without getting behind the wheel yourself.
San Diego MTS is beefing up service on Dec. 31, adding more trolley service through the night and partnering with Lyft to offer ride discounts. Service to accommodate riders to the Holiday Bowl Parade and game are also being offered.
With the additional services, some modified schedules will be in place:
New Year's Eve (Dec. 31): All trolley lines and most MTS bus routes will operate on normal weekday schedule.
Holiday Bowl Parade: Extra Green Line Trolley service between Mission Valley and downtown will begin at 9 a.m. and will continue after the parade. Best access to the parade route are via Sycuan Green Line and UC San Diego Blue Line, MTS says.
Holiday Bowl game: Service on Sycuan Green Line will run every 15 minutes throughout the day. Starting at 11:30 a.m., service will run every 7.5 minutes between the stadium and downtown.
NYE late-night service: Extra service trolleys will run on three lines at:
- Sycuan Green Line (from 12th & Imperial Transit Center to SDSU): 12:21 a.m., 12:51 a.m., 1:21 a.m., 1:51 a.m., and 2:21 a.m.
- UC San Diego Blue Line (from America Plaza to San Ysidro): 12:18 a.m., 1:03 a.m., and 2:03 a.m.
- Orange Line (from Santa Fe Depot to El Cajon): 12:15 a.m., 1:15 a.m., and 2:15 a.m.
New Year's Day (Jan. 1): All MTS trolleys and bus routes will operate on a Sunday schedule:
- All trolleys, except the Silver Line, will run every 15-30 minutes.
- No Sunday service on Rapid 201/202, 215 and 235; urban local bus routes and Express Routes 20 and 950.
- No service on Rapid Express 280 and 290; Rapid 204, 225 and 237; Sorrento Valley COASTER Connection; rural and other Express bus routes or the Vintage Trolley (Silver Line).
Lyft: MTS riders who use Lyft can get a one-time $5 discount for trips to or from MTS transit centers between 8 p.m. and 3 a.m. using the code "MTSLYFT" when booking a ride.
Uber: While there are no NYE specific discounts for using Uber, there are ways to save through referring a friend or booking your first ride. More information.
Tipsy Tow service: AAA offers it's Tipsy Tow service to both members and non-members. This year, San Diego drivers can call 800-400-4222 between 6 p.m. on Dec. 31 and 6 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2019, to take advantage of the program.