SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - The relatives of a toddler who died from E. Coli he contracted from San Diego County Fair animals held a fundraiser for his parents Saturday night.
The benefit to help the family of 2-year-old Jedidiah King Cabezuela started at 4 p.m. at Rosie O’Grady’s restaurant in Normal Heights.
Jedidiah’s great uncle Ed Sanford told 10News the boy suffered stomach problems four days after visiting the fair despite washing his hands after visiting the petting zoo.
Over the next three days, Jedidiah was in and out of the emergency room before the symptoms worsened. His kidneys began failing, and he died June 24.
Sanford says he will always remember Jedidiah as a happy boy, always laughing.
“He’s upstairs now, a little angel. I said a little prayer; I told the Lord, I said, you got your hands full,” Sanford said.
Sanford says he is glad fair officials shut down the petting zoo.
RELATED: CDC: How to protect yourself around fair animals
“The family should not have to worry about that. You’re there to have a good time. This is just really, really sad,” said Sanford.
A GoFundMe account was created for the Cabezuela family.