NewsLocal News


5th evacuee hospitalized after China flight to MCAS Miramar

Posted at 3:58 PM, Feb 06, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-06 20:58:27-05

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — A fifth person who arrived in Miramar on a flight from China's coronavirus zone was taken to the hospital Thursday.

The adult evacuee was removed from MCAS Miramar and taken to UC San Diego Medical Center after showing symptoms that warrant further evaluation, according to the CDC.

The CDC spokesperson said they were awaiting the patient's test results to determine if they had the novel coronavirus. The patient's test results are expected to return over the weekend.

RELATED: Officials: Four people in stable condition after arriving at MCAS Miramar from coronavirus zone

Thursday, officials said four people hospitalized — three adults and one child — after arriving on the flight were doing well and in stable condition. Two adults were taken to UCSD Medical Center and an adult and child were taken to Rady Children's Hospital.

Officials added that they are simply observing them currently for any possible symptoms.

"They're only moving them because we have isolation and medical expertise and not because they're contagious or were worried that something bad would happen. Just a precaution," said John Bradley, medical director of infectious diseases at Rady Children’s Hospital.

RELATED: Father, daughter isolated at Rady Children's wait for coronavirus test results

Bradley added that patients were being kept in observation rooms and don't believe there was any threat to the public or hospital patients.

"There's no risk to anyone coming to the hospital, the emergency rooms, anyone who gets hospitalized ... even if the patients test positive, which is unlikely," said Bradley.

Thursday, the father and daughter staying at Rady Children's Hospital spoke with 10News about their journey out of China and what comes next.

RELATED: San Diego man waits in frustration for family to return from China

"We’ll probably be stuck in the hospital for the next three days until the CDC results come back," said Frank Wucinski beside his 3-year-old daughter, Annabel. "There were two flights. The first flight we applied for, but we couldn’t get on because we were sick."

Wucinski said they didn't feel sick at all, but because they were sick at one point in China, they have to be isolated until their test results return.