SAN DIEGO (KGTV)--It's a dish so special it has its own day!
That's right, San Diego. Today is National Fried Chicken Day -- the perfect crunchy, spicy, greasy summertime treat.
We've rounded up the best local fried chicken spots to help you:
1. Crispy Fried Chicken in Mid-City: Highly regarded Southern-style, soul food restaurant has light, airy, crispy and tender chicken. Rave reviews for the popcorn chicken, hushpuppies, fried fish, shrimp and fried gizzards. Just read the Yelp reviews yourself.
2. StreetCar Merchants in North Park: Fresh Southern-fried chicken with a recipe passed down five generations. Chicken and waffles menu includes red velvet waffles and Rachel's Revenge - original waffles topped with Nashville hot boneless popcorn chicken. They have salt & pepper wings, too! I also have it on good authority that they serve allergen-friendly, gluten-free chicken, too.
It's National Fried Chicken Day People. Southern Fried Chicken & Cornbread....Ain't Nothing Wrong With That.......Download & Order thru our app Text STREETCAR to 33733 or find us on @grubhub @postmates @ubereats #streetcarmerchants #donuts #friedchicken #youstayhungrysd #munchies #foodpics #foodporn #foodie #hungry #brunch #instafood #lajolla #foodgasm #igers #sandiego #NorthPark #foodstagram #nationalfriedchickenday #igfood #eeeeeats #igmeals #foodphotography #instagood #goodeats #feedfeed #delicious #food #lajollacove #waffles #cornbread ? @thesavouryfoodie
3. Crack Shack in Encinitas: Serving locally sourced, fresh ingredients and with so many chicken options you're sure to find something tasty. Warning: the classic fried chicken is on the pricier end- five pieces for $15, 10 pieces for $29 - but it's cooked to order and if you order through Uber Eats, you get a free cookie. There's also a location in Little Italy.
4. San Diego Chicken Pie Shop in North Park: Chicken and waffles, traditional or crispy fried chicken with tomato and bleu cheese crumbles. Yum!
5. Bonnie Jean's Soul Food Cafe in Oak Park: What doesn't this Southern-style cafe has to offer on National Fried Chicken Day? Chicken strips, wings, chicken and waffles are perfect to pair with fried pickles, cornbread and fried mac 'n' cheese balls.
6. Chicken Charlie's Frybq in Clairemont Mesa: Famous for their fair fare, Chicken Charlie's has a wide assortment of fried chicken: chicken and waffles, chicken and a "wings and rings" special for just $8.
Sandy Coronilla is a KGTV digital producer. Follow her @10NewsSandy