SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — San Diego beer fans have the pleasure of knowing that what they're sipping ranks with the best of brews.
Seven San Diego County brewers were recognized on Rate Beer's best brewers in the world in 2019. The winners represent a portion of the top 1 percent of brewers in the world, according to RateBeer.
Local brewers on the list included AleSmith Brewing Company (6th), Port Brewing Company/The Lost Abbey (13th), Modern Times Beer (21st), Mikkeller San Diego (27th), Alpine Beer Company (30th), Stone Brewing (36th), and Ballast Point Brewing Company (69th).
- Amplified beer garden moving into historic Lemon Grove building
- Chicago-based brewer to acquire San Diego-born Ballast Point Brewing
The annual best brewers in the world ratings are based on performance ratings over the last four years.
"It is a special honor to be recognized as the sixth Best Brewery in the World, since the RateBeer Awards are generated from actual consumer reviews," said AleSmith CEO Peter Zien. "To be one of the oldest breweries in San Diego, celebrating our 25th year in business, and to receive a ‘Top 10’ designation for the 19th consecutive year, is a real testament to the team we have working at AleSmith."
Last year, AleSmith also ranked in at sixth on RateBeers global review. Port Brewing Company/The Lost Abbey, Stone Brewing, Modern Times, Alpine Beer Company, Ballast Point, and Mikkeller also ranked on the list.
RateBeer collects beer ratings from users around the world, reporting data on aroma, appearance, taste, mouthfeel and overall characteristics of beers. Those ratings are weighed depending on the quality the user.
Fans of the seven brewers already know the variety of delicious beers they offer, but for anyone just starting to dip into craft beer here's what to expect:
- AleSmith's most celebrated beers include their Speedway Stout, AleSmith IPA, and San Diego Pale Ale .394 developed with the help of the late Padres legend Tony Gwynn. Several of the brewery's barrel aged stouts and sours are ranked among RateBeer users' favorites.
- Port Brewing Company/The Lost Abbey brews a variety of beer styles, from barrel aged to traditional and fruity IPAs. Among their highest and most reviewed beers are their wild beers and sours, barleywine styles, and IPAs.
- Modern Times' highest overall ratings come with their bourbon barrel aged and stout creations, according to RateBeer. But their most reviewed — and still RateBeer favorites — include their IPAs, wheat and pale ales, and sours.
- Mikkeller fans on RateBeer rave about the brewery's stouts and variety of IPA styles, including traditional and hazy IPAs.
- Alpine Beer Company has hit a high note with IPA styles, according to RateBeer's reviews. The brewery's double IPAs, rye IPA, and traditional IPA are among its highest rated by RateBeer users.
- Stone Brewing IPAs and ales are among their highest rated on RateBeer. Its original Arrogant Bastard Ale and Stone IPA are the most reviewed and still among users' favorites from the brewery.
- Ballast Point still ranks high with its original Sculpin IPA and Victory at Sea porter, two fan favorites since the brewery began. Variations of the two styles, however, seem to be what RateBeer users try out the most, including Grapefruit Sculpin and Calm Before the Storm cream ale.