CARLSBAD, Calif. (KGTV) — North County's new foodie destination is finally opening its doors for business.
Carlsbad's Windmill Food Hall began taking orders during its soft opening this month, after its opening was pushed back from an expected summer debut.
Diners will have their choice of several cuisines at the North County stop, from waffles to gourmet sliders to New England-style lobster rolls to Korean fried chicken.
- Bing Haus - Asian-inspired dessert spot serving cult followed rolled ice cream such as Green Tea, Banana, and Black Sesame;
- Bread and Cheese Eatery - Gourmet made-from-scratch grilled cheese sandwiches stuffed with gourmet cheeses, meats, and specialty ingredients; will also be serving pineapple smoothies served inside fresh pineapples;
- Cross Street Chicken & Beer - Korean-style fried chicken with a popular brick & mortar on Convoy Street;
- (Not open yet) District 1 Pho - Vietnamese cuisine like Bánh mì sandwiches, Shaking Beef - Bò lúc lắc, and a variety of spring rolls;
- (Not open yet) Dough Balls - Wood-fired pizzas ranging from basic cheese or tomato basil to the meat-packed "porky" or "stinky" brussel sprouts and prosciutto — made in about 90 seconds;
- El Puerto Street Tacos - Burritos and tacos for breakfast or dinner and a variety of quesadilla, nacho, and seafood eats;
- Friend's House - Dumplings spot with hot or cold Bi Bim Bap, kim chi, Korean BBQ beef, and fish cakes;
- The Fry Fix - French fires in several variations like truffle, bacon, or house aioli, or loaded with steak, pesto, or poutine;
- Mesteeso Coffee - Variety of signature drinks like Cha Mate or Latte Mossa, and espressos, with an assortment of daily pastries and Brazilian eats;
- Notorious Sliders and Salads - Handcrafted burgers like the "Capone" with a fried egg and avocado mash or the "Notorious" with bacon and grilled onions;
- The Poke Stand - Poke rolls (burrito-style) from vegetarian to "Kalifornia" (with crab) to surf and turf with Korean short ribs;
- Lobster West - New England style staple foods such as Main lobster rolls made with sustainable ingredients;
- (Not open yet) RG's Sizzling Steer - BBQ concept from Murrieta known for delicious pulled pork, country fried steak, and tri-tip sandwiches and burgers;
- Thai Style Kitchen - Traditional Thai cuisine served from a traveling pop-up food stand.
While plans for a speakeasy on the second floor have been scrapped, 2,000-square-feet of outdoor seating with games and picnic tables and a concept dubbed "The Library" are still planned.
Carlsbad's food hall is North County San Diego's first food hall, joining other local stops like Little Italy Food Hall, Liberty Public Market, and soon, Park Commons in Sorrento Valley. Poway also has plans for its own food hall called Outpost .
The 12,000-square-foot hall transforms the iconic windmill building, which was formerly a T.G.I.Fridays and prior to that, a Pea Soup Andersen’s location.