SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — San Diego's downtown area will be clad in plenty of Comic-Con fun that doesn't require a ticket to the convention.
San Diego Comic-Con's off-site activations packed tons of family fun into the Gaslamp District every year, ensuring those who didn't get badges for the convention can still have a great time.
Movie studios, television networks, and comic publishers fill the city with carnival rides and games, free merchandise and giveaways, and exclusive experiences surrounding popular shows and characters.
And this year looks to be no different, with something special for fans of today's hottest show or the golden age of comics something cool to see.
Some events require tickets, some don't. Other events simply require a large time commitment when a swarm of fans are interested. Here's a look at all of the Comic-Con off-sites taking over downtown San Diego this month:
- Petco Park Interactive Zone (Petco Park): The Interactive Zone brings together several pop culture booths and studios for games, food, and fun for fans; No SDCC badge needed.
- AMC's Deadquarters (Martin Luther King Promenade): The official "Walking Dead" fan zone returns with interactive settings from both AMC zombie series, including an elaborate treehouse and place crash site; No SDCC badge needed?
- Amazon Prime Video Experience (Martin Luther King Promenade): Amazon is bringing back their 60,000 square-foot setup to showcase three new shows with immersive environments. Enlist in a UN peacekeeping mission with "The Expanse," join the anti-superhero movement with "The Boys," or visit a secret Victorian lounge based on "Carnival Row;" No SDCC badge needed.
- Futuretechlive! (Omni Hotel): Try virtual reality, augmented reality, and any other reality you like at this tech hub on the second floor of the Omni on L St. UC San Diego scientists are also on hand to give you a VR tour of the International Space Station. No SDCC badge needed.
- FX Fearless Forum (Behind convention center): FX Networks brings immersive activations for "American Horror Story: 1984," "What We Do in the Shadows," "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," and "Archer" to SDCC. Fans can register for an RFID badge to access on-site or online ahead of time: https://bit.ly/2xovib2; No SDCC badge needed.
- The Batman Experience (Comic-Con Museum, Balboa Park): The Batman Experience brings fans the largest-ever collection of Batman props, costumes, and vehicles; a VR skydiving experience through the streets of Gotham City; a Batcave gaming lounge; a Rogue Gallery interactive punching bag; and more; No SDCC badge needed.
- Adult Swim on the Green (Behind convention center): Adult Swim is back with meet and greets, a massive activation full of activities, and gift shop for fans. Ride a mechanical hot dog, visit the "Rick and Morty" Rickmobile, or enjoy a "Anamanaguchi" concert on the green; No SDCC badge needed.
- Warner Bros. Films Activation (Omni Hotel): Warner Bros. Home Entertainment presents activations for "Pokémon Detective Pikachu," with a neon cityscape of Ryme City, and "Shazam!" with the film's Chilladelphia Winter Carnival. Both installations include fun games and photo opps for fans; No SDCC badge needed.
- HBO's "Watchmen" Experience (Sixth Ave & Island Ave/Petco Park Home Plate Gate): Experience to world of the "Watchmen" with HBO's interactive, in-world activation. Fans will receive custom pins and explore the Watchmen world through an augmented reality experience. The activation will be at both Sixth Ave. and Island Ave. and at Petco Park's Home Plate Gate; No SDCC badge needed.
- "Vikings" Battle Axe Training (339 Seventh Ave, San Diego): "Vikings" stars Alexander Ludwig and Kathryn Winnick and special guests will stop by and walk fans through battle axe training and throwing at Throw It San Diego; No SDCC badge needed.
- FOX Fan Fair (200 W Island Ave, San Diego): Fox brings a 70-foot Ferris Wheel, carnival games, and amusement rides based on "The Simpsons," "Bob’s Burgers," "Family Guy," and more; No SDCC badge needed.
- "Walking Dead" zombie horde group photo (Petco Park): AMC invites fans to dress up as "walkers" and head to Petco Park Saturday at 9 a.m. for a massive photo opp to create the biggest horde ever. Fans can register here: https://bit.ly/2YwdW82; No SDCC badge needed.
- Secret "Pennyworth" activation (550 J St, San Diego): You'll need to find out the password to step into the London underworld of the 1960's with EPIX's "Pennyworth." The Oxford Social Club inside the Pendry Hotel will become a lounge filled with performances, live music, and dark secrets themed around the upcoming DC Comics show; No SDCC badge needed.
- Impractical Jokers Island Party (Park at the Park): The Impractical Jokers return the Park at the Park inside Petco Park for all-day entertainment, photo experiences, exclusive gear, autograph sessions, food, and more; No SDCC badge needed.
- South Park Mini-golf course (200 Harbor Drive #120, San Diego): Hit 9 holes with the characters of South Park on a mini-golf course themed to the show. Visitors can also purchase limited edition South Park shirts; No SDCC badge needed?
- "The Good Place, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," "Superstore" activations (170 Sixth Ave, San Diego): NBC is bringing "The Good Place," "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," and "Superstore" to town with a massive joint-activation at Tin Fish and the Hard Rock Hotel across the street; No SDCC badge needed.
- Legion M Fan Lounge (701 Fifth Ave, San Diego): Legion M sets up for a special lounge with food and drinks, recharging stations, giveaways, rooftop party, panels, and special activities like karaoke and dance parties; No SDCC badge needed.
- Stan Lee's Alliances: A Trick of Light (327 Fourth Ave, San Diego): The new Audible Original Stan Lee’s Alliances: A Trick of Light takes SDCC fans on an audio-driven journey for a new connected universe with all new superheroes; No SDCC badge needed.
- Borderland Museum of Mayhem (530 Sixth Ave, San Diego): Visit Nerdist's Museum of Mayhem giving fans a glimpse at Borderlands 3 artwork, photo booths, gift shop, on-site barber, and other interactive experiences; No SDCC badge needed.
- Level Up: San Diego Con Kickoff (Coin-Op, 789 Sixth Ave, San Diego): The Pop Insider is hosting a SDCC kick-off party at Coin-Op with cosplayers, geek-themed cocktails, giveaways, and more. Tickets: https://bit.ly/2Naf4ga; No SDCC badge needed.
- Ready PARTY One Preview Night party (Fluxx, 500 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Travel to "The Oasis" with this Ready Player One-themed party, featuring celebrity guests, live entertainment, and more! Tickets: https://bit.ly/2RsFj04; No SDCC badge needed.
- The Upside Down: A Stranger Party (Fluxx, 500 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Nerdist hosts "The Upside Down: A Stranger Party" at Fluxx Nightclub. Enjoy Starcourt Mall, The Palace Arcade, Castle Byers and immersive Instagram/TikTok-ready "Stranger Things" experiences, themed DJ sets, and live performances. GA and VIP tickets available at: https://bit.ly/2XNTz5R; No SDCC badge needed.
- The Crossip 2: Ghostbusters Party (Werewolf, 627 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Werewolf is hosting a free Ghostbusters-themed bash with drink and food specials, karaoke, and giveaways with the Ghostbusters of Las Vegas and Southland Ghostbusters groups; No SDCC badge needed.
- Farscape 20th anniversary party (Fluxx, 500 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Celebrate 20 years of the sci-fi show Farscape with cast members Ben Browder (John Crighton), Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun), Gigi Edgley (Chiana), and Executive Producer and Director Brian Henson, and creator Rockne S. O’Bannon. Autographs and photos will be available as well. Tickets: https://bit.ly/2XxgMw6; No SDCC badge needed.
- Awesome Mixer Vol. 2 party (Fluxx, 500 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Fluxx is throwing a Guardians of the Galaxy-style party, with special guests and experiences, and music by DJ Yondu, and The Ravagers Band.; No SDCC badge needed.
- Kitties and Coffee for Comic-Con (472 Third Ave, San Diego): Book your time at The Cat Cafe and get a 45-minute session with adoptable cats from The Rescue House and a food or drink item for $20 during SDCC. Book a visit: https://bit.ly/2FB4hpn; No SDCC badge needed.
- FYE Pop-up Shop (Horton Plaza): Check out exclusive FYE merchandise with special gear from Funko, Marvel, Bob Ross, Neff, and more; No SDCC badge needed.
- Nerdvania Pop-up Shop (762 Fifth Ave, San Diego): Nerdvania.net is back with their pop-up shop experience at Atomic, offering comic books, action figures, and giveaways for fans. Info: https://bit.ly/2WSq7u9; No SDCC badge needed.
- Comic Pop-Up Market & Art Show (2100 Park Blvd., Balboa Park): Check out more than 25 vendors, a cosplay contest, raffles, and live music at the World Beat Center's Comic Pop-up market & art show: https://bit.ly/2WGxm8D;No SDCC badge needed.
- Hello Kitty Cafe Truck (Petco Park): The Hello Kitty Cafe will be at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park at 10 a.m. -7 p.m. Thursday - Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Fans can purchase delicious goodies and new and exclusive merchandise; No SDCC badge needed.
- Peanuts Pop-up Shop (226 Fifth Ave, San Diego): The Peanuts celebrate the 1969 moon landing with memorabilia on loan from the Charles M. Schulz Museum including comics strips and clips of "Peanuts in Space." Guests can purchase limited-edition Snoopy and Apollo skateboards; No SDCC badge needed.
- "Revenge of the Boodega" pop-up shop (701 Eighth Ave, San Diego): Super7 hosts "Revenge of the Boodega" pop-up shop, featuring exclusives from Universal Monsters; No SDCC badge needed.
- Conan at SDCC (Spreckels Theater): Comedian Conan O'Brien hosts four episodes of his TBS show "Conan" at the Spreckels Theater. Tickets can be reserved at: https://conan.1iota.com/show/370/conan; SDCC badge required.
- IMDBoat (Behind the convention center): The IMDBoat hosts live shows with actor Kevin Smith aboard the IMDB party boat! Access is restricted to invite only, but hang around and catch celebrities come aboard; No SDCC badge needed, but invite only.
- Team Coco House Stand-up shows (401 G St, San Diego): The comedians of Team Coco will perform at a pop-up comedy club, with appearances by comedians Andy Richter and Ron Funches, "Conan" writers, and more special events and appearances. Some shows are ticketed: https://bit.ly/2SeHZP9; No SDCC badge needed.
- 6th Annual Her Universe Fashion Show (Hyatt Hotel): Hot Topic's 6th annual Her Universe Fashion Show celebrates "The Power of Fashion," pairing fashion and fandom together and giving budding designers a chance to show off their design skills and pop culture inspirations. To join in, enter online here: https://bit.ly/2WEbsaJ; No SDCC badge needed.
- "Animaniacs" in concert (868 Fourth Ave, San Diego): The original voice actors and composer of the classic cartoon "Animaniacs" come to Balboa Theater for a special concert. Tickets are available here: https://bit.ly/2Gb2WWy; No SDCC badge needed.
-"Back to the Future" and "Galaxy Quest" concerts (750 B St, San Diego): San Diego Symphony will perform music from the films "Back to the Future" and "Galaxy Quest" as the films are screened at Jacobs Music Center. Tickets for each night's show are available here: https://bit.ly/2X1wS1W; No SDCC badge needed.
- ScareDiego (444 Fourth Ave, San Diego): ScareDiego screens sneak peeks at upcoming Warner Bros. horror films "It: Chapter Two;" SDCC badge required.
- Amazon's "The Boys" premiere party and screening (450 2nd Ave, San Diego): Amazon is hosting a premiere screening of the Amazon Original "The Boys" and pre-party for the show. Reserve your spot: https://bit.ly/2J0guEY; No SDCC badge needed.
- Amazon's "Carnival Row" premiere and party (450 2nd Ave, San Diego): Amazon hosts a premiere screening and pre-party for the Amazon Original "Carnival Row." Reserve your spot: https://bit.ly/2XqyLoe; No SDCC badge needed.