SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - Starting Sunday night and going until May 30, construction crews will close either northbound or southbound lanes of I-5 overnight to begin construction of the Mid-Coast Trolley.
Drivers will see heavy equipment and machinery on the freeway, and residents can expect to hear loud construction noise during the closures.
The project will start with a large support column for the trolley bridge in the freeway center divider.
The trolley is being built to extend the Blue Line eleven miles north from the Old Town Transit Center to University City, running through Mission Bay Park, the VA Medical Center, UC San Diego and Westfield University Town Center Mall.
The Mid-Coast Trolley is expected to start running in fall 2021.
- Sunday, May 20, from 9:30 p.m. to Monday, May 21, at 5 a.m.
- Monday, May 21, from 9:30 p.m. to Tuesday, May 22, at 5 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 22, from 9:30 p.m. to Wednesday, May 23, at 5 a.m.
- Thursday, May 24, from 9:30 p.m. to Friday, May 25, at 5 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 29, from 9:30 p.m. to Wednesday, May 30 at 5 a.m.