SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- SDG&E is asking consumers throughout the county to reduce energy consumption during a coming summer heat wave.
The company said in a statement Monday that it is activating its Reduce Your Use rewards program for July 24, 25 and 26.
Those who are enrolled in the program are being asked to conserve energy between 2 and 6 p.m. and are eligible to earn a bill credit.
Earlier Monday, the California Independent System Operator issued a Flex Alert for Tuesday and Wednesday, asking consumers to reduce electricity use from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
SDG&E says the company has secured enough electricity supplies and doesn’t anticipate any issues.
To learn more about the Reduce Your Use rewards program, click here.
The company listed some tips to help consumers reduce electricity use:
- Use a ceiling or portable fan instead of air conditioning
- If using AC, try setting your thermostat at 78 degrees
- Pre-cool your home: run AC early in the morning before closing blinds to block out the sun
- Run major appliances early in the morning or late at night
- Turn off pool pumps between 2 a.m. and 6 p.m.