News

Actions

San Ysidro DUI suspect now facing federal charges

Posted at 5:00 PM, May 12, 2017

SAN YSIDRO, Calif. (KGTV) - A suspected drunk driver who has been deported 15 times since 2002 is now facing federal charges, in addition to the charges stemming from a crash last week.

Charges have been filed against 38-year-old Constantino Banda-Acosta by the United States District Court Southern District of California. Documents filed Friday said Banda-Acosta is in violation of being a "deported alien found in the United States."

"A thorough review of official immigration computer database record checks revealed the defendant was initially removed from the United States to Mexico on Nov. 12, 2002, via the Tecate, California, Port of Entry," documents said. "Information further revealed the defendant was most recently removed from the United States to Mexico on or about Jan. 18, 2017, via the San Luis, Arizona, Port of Entry."

SAN YSIDRO CRASH COVERAGE:

 

The crash on May 6 left Lennox Lake, 6, hospitalized with serious injuries at Rady Children's Hospital. Lennox's dad has reported that his son is recovering well and they hope to bring him home in the next week.

Banda-Acosta is currently being held in San Diego County jail, charged with driving under the influence, hit-and-run resulting in injury, and driving without a license. 

10News found out shortly after the crash that Banda-Acosta had been deported from the country 15 times since Nov. 2002, most recently in Jan. 2017, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

In addition, it was discovered that Banda-Acosta has been charged with similar crimes in the past, including:

  • DUI arrest: Feb. 26, 2006
  • Suspended license: Dec. 17, 2009
  • Suspended license: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Suspended license: Dec. 8, 2011

Banda-Acosta pleaded not guilty to the charges against him on Wednesday. His bail has been raised to $230,000.

He's due back in court on May 18.