A woman in southern Alberta is thankful she didn't swallow what was in a cup she was served at McDonald's as the woman was served a cleaning solution instead of a latte, the CBC reported.
Sarah Douglas, who is due with her third child in two months, said all it took was a small sip to realize what she had was not a latte.
"I immediately had to put my hazard lights on and pull over and spit it out and rinse my mouth out with ... water," Douglas told the CBC. "I opened up the lid of the coffee and out pours this pungent smell of chemical. It wasn't a latte at all."
Douglas returned to the McDonald's location and the manager discovered that a cleaning solution was hooked up to the restaurant's coffee machine.
"The supervisor went and got the bottle that was hooked up to it and brought it over to the counter, and I took a picture of it, so I knew what I was working with — what I had consumed so I could talk to 811 and poison control," Douglas told the CBC.
The chemical solution contained citric acid, phosphoric acid, methyl-trimethyl-3, and 2-butoxyethanol.
The McDonald's franchise's owner said the issue has been corrected.
"What happened is that the machine was being cleaned as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made," owner Dan Brown told the CBC.
Douglas said that she hopes that her story is a learning tool for those who work for McDonald's to enforce proper procedure and better training.