SAN DIEGO (KGTV)--San Diego professor, life coach and community activist Starla Lewis shared some words of wisdom this presidential election.
The following is an e-mail written by Lewis that's been shared around San Diego and beyond over the last several days:
Katie Elizabeth White Boyd was born in 1880 on a plantation in Missouri and lived to be 100 years old. She lived through 21 presidencies. I was born in 1949, in a colored hospital, during legal segregation. I desegregated a school in Missouri and a school in California. I have lived through 13 Presidencies. As I think about the election, I am moved to share words of wisdom from my Great Aunt Kate and Myself, the things that she taught me and the things that I have learned.
1. 4 Years “This too shall pass.”
Whatever the outcome of the election, whichever candidate wins, they only have 4 years to influence what happens in the United States and the World.
2. We the People “No one can stop you from being anything you want to be or doing anything you want to do but you.”
We can be a government of all people, by all people and for all people when we exercise our voice beyond voting day.
3. Treat All People With Respect “How you treat people speaks volumes about who you are and nothing about who they are.”
Whether you are happy about the outcome or not, let us be an example of what you want to see in the world. The youth are watching. Teach them that we can win and lose with grace. The world is watching. Show them that we can accept the outcomes of our elections with civility.
4. Come Together to Heal and Celebrate “A sorrow shared is half the sorrow. And a joy shared is twice the joy.”
Connect with like minded people in a safe space that allows you to express your thoughts and feelings.
5. Where there is breath all things are possible “It is what it is. It be what it be. And it do what it do.” Do not let the outcome of this election make you sick, violent, less human, helpless or hopeless.
6. Love IS Remember that we are all BRILLIANT, POWERFUL, LIMITLESS, LOVE.
Tap into the most powerful force in the universe and see the love in you. See the love in others. Magnify love. BE Love.