(KGTV) -- A San Marcos funeral home is weighing their options as residents raise concerns over plans to possibly add a crematorium.
The discussion brings up a difficult topic and 10News is digging into some of the pros and cons of cremation.
Cremations have caused problems in recent years. Last year, a door was left open at Cortez Cremations in National City, forcing thick, black smoke out of the building.
People in San Marcos are worried something similar could happen in their neighborhood.
Even though headlines like these are attention-grabbing, there are lots of pros to cremation, according to Security National.
Check out some of the pros below:
- Cremation costs less. According to Security National, an average burial costs between $2,000 and $3,000, but cremation can be a third of the cost.
- Cremation can be simpler and quicker.
- Cremation may be easier for families who live far away when death occurs, allowing memorial services to be postponed until family members can be present.
Although there are pros, there are also cons for families weighing their options.
Cons of cremation:
- Cremation releases anywhere between 0.8 to 5.9 grams of mercury, according to Green Burial Council.
- C02 released by cremation is equal taking a nearly 500 mile road trip.
- Byproducts of cremation include nitrogen oxide, dioxins and particulates – acid rain.