NewsLocal News


Watch: San Diego Police respond to violent arrest video

Posted at 3:18 PM, May 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-09 02:20:09-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Video posted to social media went viral this week, reportedly showing San Diego Police officers' violent arrest a 20-year-old man.

Trenelle Cannon was arrested on warrants in Chula Vista Tuesday at about 6 p.m., according to his mother. He was booked into jail and charged with carrying a loaded firearm in a public place, robbery, and identity theft, according to SDPD, however more charges may be filed.

The video shows several officers above Cannon as he is being arrested. One officer can be seen making a repeated punching motion. Cannon's girlfriend, Shakira Smith, was in the car with him and other friends at the time of the arrest and captured the video.

"A 12 second video of this arrest was shared on social media without any context or details provided," police said in a news release.

Video released later in the day by police shows a man tackling a police officer before more officers get involved.

SDPD held a press conference to address the video:

Undercover officers had been conducting surveillance of Cannon in the area of 600 E St. in Chula Vista when they requested uniform officers to arrest him, SDPD Chief David Nisleit said during a press conference. Nisleit says Cannon then fled from officers, forcing police to give chase. At some point during the chase, a weapon was recovered where a witness last saw Cannon.

Nisleit said Cannon was located once again in the area of 1100 4th Ave., where he got into a car with four others. The vehicle then proceeded to get onto Interstate 5, where officers conducted a traffic stop.

During the traffic stop, Nisleit said Cannon tackled an officer to the ground, prompting multiple officers to assist in an arrest. Nisleit said officers feared Cannon had another weapon and used a "combination of physical force and distraction strikes" to restrain him.

"This is a very important key to note, once restrained and no longer a threat to officers no additional force was used on Cannon," Nisleit said.

The family of Cannon held a press conference in response to the incident:

Smith, as well as Cannon’s mother spoke at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Smith said she and Cannon were in a car with several friends when they were pulled over. She claims Cannon was pulled out of the car before being thrown to the ground. She then says officers piled on top of him.

Smith made no mention of what happened before the couple got into the car, when police say Cannon led them on a chase, allegedly dropping a gun along the way.

After screaming at police, Smith says she started recording the arrest. As she was recording, Smith says police told her: “put your phone away, you can’t do that.”

The family and others said they wouldn't answer any questions following the news conference.

Nisleit said Cannon and the officers involved were not injured, aside from slight abrasions.

Internal Affairs detectives was notified of the arrest and will evaluate officers' use of force and whether they followed policy. Based on the social media video and body-camera video, Nisleit said that he believed the appropriate amount of force was used by officers.