NewsLocal News


Video: Sanitizing machine bursts into flames inside Point Loma grocery store

Posted at 10:26 AM, Jan 30, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-31 13:16:11-05

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- An employee’s quick thinking may have saved Jensen's Point Loma grocery store after a sanitizing machine caught fire.

According to the store’s owner Adam Jensen, the fire took place on Wednesday, January 20 around 6 a.m.

Jensen says a store employee who does bookkeeping decided to arrive early to get some work done.

Dramatic video shows the employee standing near a printer when the sanitizing machine suddenly begins smoking before bursting into flames.

Jensen says the employee immediately called 911 while two others reached for a fire extinguisher.

Luckily, no one was injured by the blaze, but flames did cause approximately $50,000 worth of damage, which Jensen says insurance will cover. The store also had to close for two hours because of damage caused by the inferno.

He credits quick-thinking employees and the fast-arrival of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department with saving the store.

Jensen says the cause of the fire was a battery inside the device.