NewsLocal News

Actions

San Diego Symphony's bayside venue set for July 2020 opening

san diego symphony bayside performance park.jpg
san diego symphony bayside performance park_2.jpg
San Diego Symphony pushes for permanent venue
San Diego Symphony pushes for permanent venue
Posted at 11:51 AM, Dec 21, 2019

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — San Diego Symphony's new bayside concert venue is set to open just as San Diego's summer begins.

Once completed in July 2020, Bayside Performance Park will be the first and only permanent waterfront venue on the west coast, according to the symphony's latest post online.

The recent post also offered a more detailed look at the performance park's layout along San Diego Bay.

The venue, which started construction in September 2019, will replace the current facilities in Embarcadero Marina Park South with a new, 13,000-square-foot covered stage, six levels of terraced seating with 13 sections across, a promenade, flexible seating between 2,000 to 10,000 guests, new public restrooms, and other park enhancements.

RELATED:

The stage itself will be covered in a sea shell-like structure with state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment. While noise concerns arose early on before construction began, the symphony says the angle of the stage's dome should direct most sound toward the audience and not across the bay toward Coronado residents.

"The venue itself is a work of art, with many technologies working in unison to elevate the music," the symphony writes. "With state-of-the-art sound, lighting and staging, the Symphony will attract bigger names and brighter talent than ever before."

The symphony made a minimum investment of $45 million toward the venue.

According to the Port of San Diego, the park will be open to the public 85 percent of the year, while the other 15 percent will be reserved for paid admission or rental events. The permanent venue will also host four free public events every year.