SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - It was a significant step in the future of San Diego State University and Mission valley.
San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer tweeted an image Thursday of signed paperwork to sell the Mission Valley Stadium site to SDSU.
The mayor's tweet read “Signed, sealed, delivered!" and it went on to express that the city’s sale of the Mission Valley site is nearly complete.
-- Council approves sale of Mission Valley stadium land to San Diego State
-- Council approves draft of Mission Valley stadium site sale to SDSU
-- SDSU releases new renderings of proposed river park
The two sides spent 18 months negotiating after voters passed Measure G in 2018. It was until June 30, 2020, that the San Diego City Council approved the $86.2 million proposal for the site.
SDSU plans to tear down the former home of the Padres and Chargers and build a new stadium, which will be the centerpiece of a new Mission Valley campus, including classrooms, housing retail, and a river park.
The stadium is expected to be ready by fall 2022.
TIMELINE OF SDSU MISSION VALLEY:
- November 6 - Wednesday, November 7, 2018: Voters shoot down Measure E, the so-called SoccerCity Initiative, with "no" votes totaling 69.6 percent. 54 percent of voters favored Measure G, which supported the SDSU West Initiative.
- August 17, 2019: SDSU releases new renderings of "Aztec Stadium" at Aztec Football Fan Fest
- October 14, 2019: San Diego State University presented an offer of $68.2 million to the San Diego City Council to purchase the SDCCU Stadium site in Mission Valley
- November 18, 2019: The San Diego City Council unanimously voted today to direct the city's negotiating team to proceed with San Diego State University's offer of $86.2 million to purchase and redevelop the SDCCU Stadium site
- December 5, 2019: Project gets $15M donation from Dianne Bashor
- December 27, 2019: SDSU asks for a list of bidders to upgrade internet at its proposed SDSU Stadium
- January 15, 2020: SDSU releases new renderings of its proposed river walk in Mission Valley (this would be near the stadium)
- January 28, 2020: City Council sets parameters on SDSU stadium sale, including a minimum of 10 percent affordable housing
- January 29, 2020: California State Board of Trustees approves environmental impact report and financing needed to acquire SDCCU
- March 24, 2020: California State Board of Trustees approves design and financing plans for Aztec Stadium
- May 19, 2020: City Council votes 7-2 to extend the contract of the law firm working on the city's behalf to sell the site
- May 29, 2020: City Council approves draft agreement to sell the Mission Valley stadium site to SDSU
- June 30, 2020: City Council approves the purchase and sale agreement that formalizes the sale of the Mission Valley stadium site to SDSU