NewsLocal NewsSan Diego News


Oak Park suspect fatally shot during struggle with officer, San Diego Police say

Posted at 4:14 PM, Jan 24, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-25 09:23:02-05

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — One person is dead following an officer-involved shooting in the Oak Park area Friday.

Police were in the area of the 2900 block of 54th Street at about 3:45 p.m. when they tried to make an enforcement contact with a suspect. San Diego Police Lt. Matt Dobbs said it wasn't clear what the stop was in regards to until officers involved were interviewed.

Police said the suspect became "extremely agitated" and fled on foot. Officers chased the suspect and caught up to the man, where an altercation started with one officer. Police say the officers gave him verbal commands to stop resisting but he refused to cooperate.

During the struggle, the officer said he felt the suspect pull at his weapon. A second officer fired one shot at the suspect and the fight ended. Lt. Dobbs added that the suspect ripped the gun and holster completely from the first officer's belt.

Police provided an update to press:

"Not only was the suspect grabbing at the officer's gun, but in fact, he ripped the gun and the holster completely from the officer's belt," Lt. Dobbs said.

Lt. Dobbs said the suspect was shot in the upper body.

"Cop jump off him, and just took his gun and just, popped him and jumped back on him again," said Carlitos Figueroa, who says he witnessed the shooting take place from about 20 feet away. "It happened so fast. He took off and then zip zap and then they jumped on him and then he struggled and that's it, boom."

Officers on scene provided first aid to the suspect until San Diego Fire-Rescue crews arrived. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. His identity has not been released. Lt. Dobbs said the suspect appears to be a Hispanic male in his 30s or 40s.

The officers involved in this incident are both patrol officers assigned to Southeastern Division. Their names are not being released at this time.

Lt. Dobbs said no weapon was recovered at the scene other than the officer's handgun that had been pulled from his belt.

Police closed streets around 54th and Krenning streets while they investigated.