NewsLocal NewsSan Diego News

Actions

After San Diego County shut them down, El Prez prepares to reopen

KGTV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:49 PM, May 28, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-28 20:49:00-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — One day after San Diego County allowed dining in restaurants to resume with modifications, Pacific Beach's El Prez was ordered to close for violating county public health orders.

Now, the restaurant and bar says it's hoping to reopen sometime next week after passing an health department inspection.

Last week, El Prez was the scene of customers ignoring physical distancing and facial covering rules. Video of the first night the restaurants reopened was played during the county's daily press conference as local leaders criticized the scene.

RELATED: Pacific Beach's El Prez shut down for violating health orders

"This facility is now closed. This facility will remain closed until further notice," Supervisor Nathan Fletcher said at the time. "The actions that you just saw in the video before you can trigger an outbreak and compromise our ability as a county to move farther along in the state's reopening plan."

Management said navigating the new rules for restaurants (available here) had proved difficult on night one, but not intentionally.

RELATED: Brigantine hiring as restaurants ready to reopen

"The re-opening of restaurants is a new territory for us all and with it brings a difficult learning curve. We learned that yesterday," a statement to 10News read in part. "While we believed we were in compliance with Governor Newsom’s 12-page mandate for re-opening restaurants, after yesterday’s experience on our first day of re-opening we now know that we need to take even greater measures to ensure that our customers, employees and community are safe."

The statement went on to say the restaurant will continue to work with the county to make sure it's meeting reopening criteria, including the addition of lines for physical spacing among customers, tables being spaced apart, PPE for staff, and increased safety signage.

RELATED: Vendors offer drive-thru orders at Del Mar Fairgrounds to stay afloat amid pandemic

Dine-in restaurants will be taking several precautions with its own staff as customers return, including:

  • Temperature/symptom screening for employees daily
  • Employees with COVID-19 symptoms can't work
  • Employees must wear facial coverings
  • Outdoor seating may be expanded

Diners are encouraged to follow the same guidelines and not to visit restaurants if they have symptoms or are sick. Other changes include:

  • Tables must be six feet apart or have barriers
  • Signs will be posted to remind customers about social distancing
  • Customers must wear facial coverings, expect when seated
  • No self-service features like salad bars or soda machines
  • Reservations are encouraged