NewsLocal News

Actions

San Diego County leaders announce vaping crackdown proposal

Posted at 3:16 PM, Sep 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-09-30 20:32:24-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- San Diego County leaders Monday announced proposals that would crack down on vaping amid vaping-related illness and death throughout the U.S.

At the Monday news conference, County Supervisors Dianne Jacob and Nathan Fletcher proposed a ban on the sale and distribution of flavored tobacco products and e-cigarettes.

The recommendations will come to go to the board on October 15 and, if the board follows up with approval, the rules would take effect in the county’s unincorporated area.

“Vaping-related illnesses are a grave concern and we must take local action to address this fast-growing public health crisis,” said Jacob, chairwoman of the Board of Supervisors.

“Teenagers and young adults have been the hardest hit, and we must stand up to vaping manufacturers that are preying on them for profit.”

So far across the U.S., there have been more than 800 confirmed illnesses tied to vaping and 13 deaths.

The news conference comes after health officials around the country advise people to refrain from vaping as investigations into the cause of the illnesses and deaths continue.

“E-cigarettes, and in particular the flavored products, are erasing years of progress in reducing teens’ use of tobacco and nicotine,” said Supervisor Fletcher.

In San Diego County, there have been 22 confirmed probable vaping-related illness cases.

Teenagers and young adults make up about half of those hospitalized as a result of e-cigarette use, according to the state Department of Public Health.