SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Frozen raspberry products sold in eight Aldi stores in San Diego County and used in Escondido Union School District cafeterias have been recalled for possible hepatitis A contamination.
The Season's Choice products are under the Aldi and Raley's supermarket label, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recall on Oct. 31. The raspberries were also used in yogurt parfaits served during breakfasts in cafeterias in the Escondido Union School District from Sept. 5 to Oct. 31.
The recalled products are:
- (Aldi) Season’s Choice Raspberries (frozen) 12-ounce bags with “best by” dates of June, 10, 2021, August 1, 2021, and August 23, 2021. The UPC code is 0 41498 12419 9 and the lot codes are 20161A, 20213A, and 20235A.
- (Aldi) Season’s Choice Berry Medley (frozen) 16-ounce bags with “best by” dates of July 17, 2021, July 20, 2021, and July 22, 2021. The UPC code is 0 41498 31344 9 and the lot codes are 20198A, 20201A, and 20203A.
- (Raley’s) Fresh Frozen Red Raspberries 12-ounce bags with “best by” dates of June 5, 2021 and August 1, 2021. The UPC code is 46567 00754 and the lot codes are 20156A04, 20213A06.
The virus was detected during routine sampling conducted by the FDA. People who have purchased the berries should not eat them and return them to the store for a refund.
The California Department of Public Health has published a full list of where the berries were sold and served here.
Hepatitis A symptoms can develop two to seven weeks after exposure and include mild fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, pain in the upper right side of the abdomen, dark urine and jaundice (yellow eyes or skin).
A hepatitis A vaccine can prevent infection if administered within 14 days of exposure.
"Anyone who has not had two hepatitis A vaccinations and ate the recalled frozen raspberry products, or the yogurt parfaits made from them, should talk to their health care provider about getting immunizations to prevent the illness," said Wilma Wooten, county public health officer. "Everyone who ate these items should be aware of the symptoms of hepatitis A and seek medical attention early if they appear."