NewsLocal NewsNorth County News

Actions

Without big events, Del Mar Fairgrounds says it needs $20M to survive

KGTV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 4:52 PM, May 27, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-27 21:23:31-04

SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — The Del Mar Fairgrounds says it faces closing for good unless it receives emergency state funding.

The fairgrounds, which is owned by the state, says its operations are self-funded and relies on event revenues to operate.

Without events like the San Diego County Fair, horse racing, several smaller festivals, and more, the fairgrounds' revenue has been severely depleted. The venue had already lost the KAABOO music festival heading into this year as well, which was set to move to Petco Park this year.

The fairgrounds says it needs $20 million in relief aid from California in order to survive.

"From creating cherished family memories and generating $680 million in economic impact, to serving as an essential evacuation site during wildfires and providing nearly 4,000 full-time-equivalent jobs, losing the Fairgrounds would leave a giant void in San Diego as we know it," a release from the venue said.

Fairgrounds officials are calling on the community to urge their local leaders to support emergency aid from the state.

The fairgrounds has also set up a website here to help locals show their support and connect with local and state leaders to urge them to help.