SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — A teenager accused of being behind the wheel of a deadly crash in Mission Valley that killed two others now faces new charges.
The District Attorney’s Office amended the charges against the teen Wednesday during a readiness hearing, changing it to two second-degree murder charges.
At the time of the crash, officers said the teen had been arrested on charges of manslaughter and DUI. The driver has not been identified because he is a minor. He is 17 years old.
The two passengers in his car that were killed were just 15 years old.
The DA’s office has not said whether the teen may be tried as an adult.
DDA Hung Bach says, “I can’t comment on whether our office will proceed forward with charging and going forward with his minor as an adult. But what normally happens is we go through a transfer hearing to find out if this minor would be suitable to be tried as an adult or not. But, that’s far into the future and I can’t make a comment about that now.”
Police say the driver didn’t have a license and was driving under the influence when he lost control on a transition ramp from Interstate 8 to State route 163 in January.
The car went down an embankment and hit a tree.
At Wednesday's hearing, a date for his next court appearance was scheduled for next month.