SAN DIEGO (KGTV) -- More than 92,000 people have alleged abuse by the Boy Scouts of America.
Monday was the filing deadline for people to filing claims against the organization.
Team 10 has been reporting on sexual abuse allegations within the Boy Scouts for years.
"He'd come at me at multiple times," former scout Mike told Team 10 in 2019. Mike declined to use his last name. Mike said the Assistant Scoutmaster sexual assaulted him during an overnight trip while he was sleeping.
Mike's attorney, Andrew Van Arsdale, now represents around 80 former scouts in sexual abuse cases. He said throughout San Diego County, there are roughly 300 sexual abuse cases.
"What we're seeing is something on a scale we've never seen in any institutional abuse setting," Van Arsdale said. "It's hard. You picture this man you're talking to as a child and this monster on the other side doing these things to them."
The Boy Scouts filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this year, which means the abuse cases will go through the bankruptcy court. The national organization will work to develop a reorganization plan to fund a trust for compensation. The former scouts alleging abuse will have to approve any future plan.
"If they can't come up with real money, the survivors would rather see the cease to exist then because they won't allow them to get away with paying them nothing and then just going on as business as usual," Van Arsdale said.
In a statement, the Boy Scouts of America apologized to the survivors, saying they "are devastated by the number of lives impacted by past abuse in Scouting and moved by the bravery of those who have come forward."
"We are heartbroken that we cannot undo their pain," the statement continued.
Van Arsdale said the reorganization plan will likely come early next year.