NewsLocal News


Gas leak causes house fire in Poway

Posted at 4:42 PM, Jul 21, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-22 00:52:46-04

POWAY, Calif., (KGTV)-- Fire crews battled a house fire in Poway Sunday afternoon after neighbors heard hissing sounds and an explosion.

Poway and San Diego Fire departments responded to the 13,000 block of Silver Saddle Lane after getting a 9-1-1 call at around 1:15 pm.

When crews arrived, they found the side of the home on fire.

"The fire was just on the garage and the exterior of the garage. It appears it did not make it into the house," Poway Fire Battalion Chief Ray Fried said.

Batt. Chief Fried said the methane levels were too high, above 0 ppm, which meant his fire crews needed to stand down until SDG&E cleared the gas leak.

"We're not going inside at this time, because the gas readings are fairly high inside the house," Batt. Chief Fried said.

No one was inside the home at the time of the explosion.

One family next door was evacuated in an abundance of caution.