CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KGTV) – Barons Market is opening its newest grocery store in east Chula Vista this week.
Barons’ ninth Southern California location will open to the public on May 22. The new store is located at the Otay Ranch Town Center on 2015 Birch Rd., next door to Party City and Chili's.
The grocery chain is known for its organic produce and specialty foods.
Rachel Shemirani, senior vice president of Barons Market, said, “Simply put, we make grocery shopping exciting and fun, and we can’t wait to introduce Barons Market to Otay Ranch. We are hopeful that this Barons Market will make the lives of our new neighbors a little bit easier -- especially our 15-minute shopping experience. Our team is excited to meet our Otay shoppers.”
Otay Ranch Town Center general manager Tim Kilcourse added, “We welcome Barons Market to our mix of tenants at Otay Ranch Town Center. Today, shoppers are looking for more than just retail options. They’re looking for a one-stop-shop for all of their errands. We are eager to see the reaction of the community and are proud to play host to this one-of-a-kind grocery store concept.”
With the grocery store opening amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Barons Market will have public health and safety measures in place.
- All employees and customer will be wearing face coverings and plexiglass barriers have been installed at the cash registers for added protection
- There will be a limited amount of customers allowed in the store at a time to encourage social distancing
- The store hours have adjusted to 10 a.m.- 8 p.m. so employees can spend an extra hour in the morning and an extra hour in the evening to clean and sanitize the store
- Employees will also be sanitizing the entire store including cash registers and shopping cars throughout the day and they will get their temperatures taken each time they clock in for a shift
- No reusable bags will be allowed, instead, Barons will pack groceries in a paper or plastic bag (free of charge)
The new Barons Market takes over location previously occupied by DSW Shoes.
At about 21,000 square feet, the new Chula Vista location will be one of the grocer's larger stores.