Large bird catches fire, sparks Chino Hills fire, firefighters say

Posted at 1:32 PM, Jul 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-30 16:32:53-04

CHINO HILLS, Calif. (KGTV) -- Fire officials say a brush fire that destroyed a two-story mansion in Chino Hills Monday may have been sparked by a bird, according to KABC.

According to Chino Valley Fire, the blaze was caused by a large bird striking high-voltage power lines. The department says the bird then caught fire and fell to the ground, igniting the grass.

The tweet went on to say that fire officials and SoCal Edison representatives inspected the power pole and found that there was no transformer installed on the pole as initially reported.

No evacuations were ordered and no injuries reported. The blaze started near Chino Hills Parkway and Falling Star Lane just before 2 p.m., KABC reports.