(KGTV and AP) - Two suspects are in custody in the United States in connection with the deaths of nine women and children in northern Mexico, relatives of the victims report.
Bryan LeBaron said Thursday U.S. officials told the family that two suspects had been detained in the United States, but did not specify what role they had played in the Nov. 4 ambush attack.
Earlier this week, prosecutors said more than 40 suspects have now been identified in connection with the killings of the extended Langford and LeBaron families who have lived in northern Mexico for decades.
Three mothers and six children were killed; eight others were injured. The victims were dual citizens of Mexico and the United States, and part of a Mormon community of about 3,000 members living in Mexico.
Mexican investigators said they found 200 shell casings, a scorched car and two other bullet-ridden vehicles at the scene.
Mexico's foreign ministry invited the FBI in November to assist in the investigation, reiterating its commitment to investigate the facts to ensure justice to the affected families
"The FBI will be providing assistance at the invitation of the Mexican government with the investigation into the recent attack against American citizens," FBI officials said in a statement. "The FBI remains committed to working alongside our international partners to help bring justice to the perpetrators of this heinous act of violence."
A small-town police chief in Mexico was arrested in November. The FBI also reported “several individuals” were arrested in Mexico in 2019.
KGUN contributed to this report.