SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — A 3-year-old boy was hospitalized Friday after being bitten by a rattlesnake in the Allied Gardens area.
San Diego Fire-Rescue responded to Canyon Rim Children's Center in the 6800 block of Easton Court at about 9:45 a.m. The boy was bitten on the finger by a baby rattlesnake while playing near the center's fence line.
The boy was rushed to Rady Children's Hospital as a trauma patient, according to SDFD. The child is doing well, according to the children center's director.
RELATED: What to do in the event of a rattlesnake bite
Navajo Canyon sits just behind the children's center.
A neighbor told 10News that snake bites are common in the area this time of year, and the center does a good job of checking fences before children go outside.
A teacher reportedly trapped the baby rattlesnake so authorities could dispose of it.
Baby rattlesnake bites are considered more dangerous than bites from an adult rattlesnake because they are typically unable to control the amount of venom they release in their bite.
The boy may be kept at the hospital overnight for observation, according to the children's center.