SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — This year, many will agree that the lights that routinely illuminate the holidays are needed more than ever.
Year after year, a variety of San Diego County areas dress up their homes in spectacular Christmas light displays. Some homes go all-out, covering every inch of the property in lights. Some put together elaborate scenes bringing out the kids in us.
FOR A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF HOLIDAY LIGHTS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY, VISIT OUR CONTENT PARTNERS AT SAN DIEGO FAMILY MAGAZINE
Whatever the display's theme or skill level, it's a tradition that many have come to enjoy every year.
(This year, many neighbors are asking the public to enjoy the lights from their cars and to avoid walking around neighborhoods or gathering due to the pandemic.)
Here's where you can find some of the best lights throughout San Diego County this year:
- Carlsbad: The "Carlsbad Christmas House" lights up with flamingos and penguins, animated window displays, dancing with Santa, and the Land of Misfit Toys at 7607 Romeria Street. More info.
- Legoland: Legoland's holiday fun runs Nov. 20 through Jan. 10, with cheer around every turn. Santa and toy soldiers will spread fun throughout the park with photo ops for children, and Fun Town will decorate a 30-foot Lego Christmas tree with more than 400 Lego ornaments. More info.
- Del Mar Fairgrounds: A magnificent display of lights and sounds will ring in the holidays at the Del Mar Fairgrounds this season, with Holidays in Your Car from Dec. 5 - Dec. 24, Dec. 26 - Dec. 30, and Jan. 2, 2021. More than one million LED lights, holograms, and projection mapping animated to holiday music will take over the fairgrounds for visitors to enjoy their own little sleigh ride, with some displays standing at over 40 feet high. More info.
- Rancho Bernardo: Homes lining the cul-de-sac of Tristania Pl. are dressed top to bottom with lights, spelling out "hope," "joy," and "Noel" across homes plus much more.
- Carmel Mountain: Homes in the Fairway Village area of Carmel Mountain will be decked out in lights! Check out the lights from Dec. 1 to Jan. 1 from dusk to 10:30 p.m. nightly. Vehicles are welcome to drive around and visitors are asked not to walk around the neighborhood. More info.
- Poway: "Candy Cane Lane" covers Hickory Ct., Hickory St., Butterwood Ct., and Rockrose Ct. in Poway, beginning the weekend after Thanksgiving until at least Jan. 1. More info.
- Rancho Penasquitos: "Christmas Card Lane" can be found on Oviedo St. off Black Mountain Rd. Homes create plywood "cards" with Christmas themes or cartoons and light displays from dusk until about 10 p.m. throughout December. More info.
- Scripps Ranch: "Merry-tage Court" can be found at Stonebridge Pkwy and Merritage Ct. covered in bright holiday themes throughout December from dusk until about 10 p.m. nightly.
- Lakeside: Homes on Paseo Palmas Dr. can be seen dressed up in lights this season, as lights string together each home at "Tinsel Town." Visitors can see the displays from about 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. throughout December. More info.
- Santee: "Starlight Circle" or "Sunburst Santee" covers Tomel Ct. off Magnolia Ave. Residents have their own schedule for how long lights will be up, but visitors can usually catch them from about 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. More info.
- El Cajon: Homes on Pepper Dr. will be dressed up in festive holiday lights. The hilltop street becomes a neighborhood beacon every holiday season. More info.
- Lemon Grove: Lemon Grove's "Santa Claus Lane" can be found on Sheri Lane.
Central San Diego
- Tierrasanta: Visit 5306 Belardo Dr. for a decked out light display and nightly beginning the Saturday after Thanksgiving. More info.
- Clairemont: Clairemont's "Clairemont Christmas Park" on Lana Dr. & Jamar Dr.
- SeaWorld San Diego: The holidays kick off at SeaWorld through Jan. 4, 2021, with Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa celebrations at the park. The park will celebrate with a sea-themed 25-foot tree, menorah lighting, and kinara lighting for the holidays. The park is also bringing back the Sesame Street Christmas Village, and offering safe photos and cookies with Santa and other fun activities. More info.
- San Diego Zoo: Check out "Jungle Bells" at San Diego Zoo from Dec. 4-6, 11-23, 25-31, and Jan. 1-3, 2021. The park will give visitors the chance to see their favorite animals, and enjoy music and roaming entertainment. More info.
- Bankers Hill: "The Forward House" in Banker’s Hill is located at Ivy St. and 1st Ave. and has been a neighborhood holiday tradition for years. The house will be lit generally from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. More info.
- Chula Vista: "Christmas Circle" is on Whitney St. and Mankato St. in Chula Vista. Homes along the streets will be lit up throughout December from dusk until about 10 p.m. each night.