SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — This week, San Diegans will get the chance to learn about our armed services with several exhibits and tours as part of Fleet Week.
Fleet Week runs Nov. 4-12 with festivities throughout San Diego, giving families the chance to get close up with America's military forces. Last year, more than 20,000 visitors took part in the festivities, learning about filed combat gear, touring the USS Harpers Ferry, and exploring the event's popular Innovation Zone.
New this year, families can enjoy a Veterans Day parade and special veterans art exhibit, with works created by active duty, reservists, and veterans covering an array of mediums.
"San Diego is definitely a military town," Gordon Rutherford, Fleet Week San Diego president, said. "But San Diegans and visitors to our city really don’t often get a chance to meet the people and see the technology they use to defend the United States and our way of life."
The week's schedule will feature several events, tours, and hands-on experiences:
- (Nov. 4-9) Fleet Week Softball Tournament
- (Nov. 6) Navy Kickoff Reception
- (Nov. 6) Enlisted Recognition Luncheon
- (Nov. 7) Fleet Week/SDMAC Breakfast
- (Nov. 7) Innovation Zone VIP Reception
- (Nov. 7-8) Student Stem Days
- (Nov. 8-9) Innovation Zone
- (Nov. 8-11) Veterans Art Exhibit
- (Nov. 8-11) Military Ship Tours
- (Nov. 8) Happy Hour Featuring Tim Hurley
- (Nov. 9) Military Family Tailgate & Football Classic
- (Nov. 10) Coast Guard Open House
- (Nov. 10) Military Family Day
- (Nov. 11) Veterans Day Parade
- (Nov. 11) Post Parade Concert Featuring Coffey Anderson
- (Nov. 12) Enlisted Golf Tournament
For more information on times and tickets for some events, visit Fleet Week's