SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — The celebration of something near and dear to many San Diegans' hearts kicks off this week.
American Craft Beer Week runs from May 13 - 19, inviting communities of craft brewers across the U.S. to celebrate the craft culture. The week began in 2006, when the Brewers Association wanted to make American Beer Month (traditionally in July) a week-long effort before summer beer season.
In San Diego, there's no shortage of enthusiasm for the craft beer industry. The region is home to more than 150 craft beer breweries, from "Beer-amar" (Miramar) to "Hops Highway" (from Oceanside through Escondido), according to the San Diego Brewers Guild.
That means local breweries have plenty of events through the week perfect for enjoying the unofficial holiday:
- Pizza Party Mondays @ Second Chance Beer Company: Visit the North Park brewery for a pint and free slice of pizza.
- Throwback movie & sushi night @ Kensington Brewing Company: Enjoy a screening of Forrest Gump with a brew from Kensington Brewing and sushi from Sushi Uno.
- New beer release @ Eppig Brewing: Visit Eppig Brewing for the introduction of their new Maibock lager, with notes of graham cracker pie crust and toffee, and citrus and stone fruit hops.
- Maker's Market @North Park Beer Co.: Sip on tasty brews and check out goods from local, small businesses.
- New beer release @ Pure Project: Be on hand for the release of Pure Project's Searchlight Casting, with notes of Citra, Santiam, and Meridian hops.
- Waterfront beer run @ Eppig Brewing: Tackle a run along Shelter Island from Eppig Brewing and enjoy $1 off pints when you're finished.
- Hops, Hash, & Hip-hop Brunch @ North Park Beer Co.: Start your day with some Biggie and brunch, featuring a full menu and beers to pair, mimosas, and the brewery's signature "brew-tails."
- New beer release @ Thorn Brewing Co.: Brewed in collaboration with Modern Times Brewery, Thorn St. releases Super Kaleidoscope Hazy Triple IPA, featuring notes of mango, pomelo, and tangelo.
- Summer kickoff party @ Green Flash Brewing Co.: Kick off summer with Green Flash's Passion Fruit Kicker and enjoy music, games, gourmet ice cream treats, and more at the Mira Mesa tasting room.
- Beer & ceviche pairing @ Societe Brewing Company: Enjoy four takes on ceviche from The Food Seed Food Company paired with Societe brews at this special tasting event.
- Sculpt night @ 32 North Brewing Co.: Sculpt your very own conquistador under the guidance of artists at I Sculpt U. Materials and tools to sculpt will be provided.