(KGTV) — There's still time to cook for Heart Health Month this February, and it doesn't take a lot of time to work the Mediterranean Diet onto the table.
Greek Village Salad is the perfect example of something quick, easy, and heart-healthy to consider.
Whether you're entertaining a group or eating for two, here's how to whip up the delicious dish:
Serves two to three as side dish, one to two as main dish
- 3-4 medium tomatoes – cut into wedges then cut in half
- 4-5 cucumbers preferably Persian variety, cut into small round pieces (leave skin on if they are Organic)
- ½ small red onion sliced into thin slivers
- 8 Kalamata Olives (optional)
- 6 ounces feta cheese cut into cubes
- ½ red bell pepper, remove seeds and cut into wedges and then halve
- 2 TBSP EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
STEPS: Cut and place tomatoes in a medium sized salad bowl and sprinkle a little salt over them and give them a good toss so they can start to release liquid.
Cut and place Cucumber, Onion, Bell Pepper and Feta in the bowl with the tomatoes
Add 2 TBSP EVOO as well the ACV and give it a good toss. Season with fresh ground pepper, a little more olive oil and salt to your liking
Top the salad with the Kalamata olives and a pinch of Oregano
Serve with a slice of toasted whole grain rustic country bread. It is great for dipping in the salad dressing and enjoying! This can be a meal unto itself or accompanied by a piece of grilled fish or chicken for added protein.