SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - The Old Globe Theatre will hold free performances across San Diego County this month, as part of its Globe For All Tour.
The tour will feature performances of a modern-day version of the Shakespeare comedy, "Twelfth Night." The tour will visit 17 community venues from Oct. 31 to Nov. 19.
The free performances are set for:
- Thursday, Nov. 2 (Opening Night) at 5:45 p.m.: San Diego Military Family Collaborative/Social Advocates for Youth (SAY) San Diego’s Serra Real Connections Healthy Start Program (Junipero Serra High School, 5156 Santo Rd., San Diego, 92124)
- Friday, Nov. 3 at 1:30 p.m.: Fourth District Seniors Resource Center (The George L. Stevens Senior Center, 570 S. 65th St., San Diego, 92114)
- Saturday, Nov. 4 at 3 p.m.: San Diego Public Library – City Heights/Weingart Branch Library & Performance Annex (3795 Fairmount Ave., San Diego, 92105)
- Sunday, Nov. 5 at 1:30 p.m.: San Diego Public Library – Otay Mesa-Nestor Branch Library (3003 Coronado Ave., San Diego, 92154)
- Tuesday, Nov. 7 at 6:30 p.m.: Chaldean Middle Eastern Social Services/San Diego County Library – El Cajon Branch Library (St. Michael Chaldean Catholic Church, 799 E. Washington Ave., El Cajon, 92020)
- Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m.: Lemon Grove Academy/Lemon Grove Historical Society/San Diego County Library – Lemon Grove Branch Library (Lemon Grove Academy, Roberto Alvarez Auditorium, 3171 School Ln., Lemon Grove, 91945)
- Saturday, Nov. 11, at 3:00 p.m.: Old Globe Tech Center ( 5335 Market Street San Diego, CA 92114)
- Sunday, Nov. 12 at 1:00 p.m.: San Diego Public Library – Central Library (Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common, Shiley Special Events Suite, 330 Park Blvd., San Diego, 92101)
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7:00 p.m.: Naval Base San Diego (Navy Region Southwest, Anchors Catering & Conference Center, Main at Yama St., 2375 Recreation Way, Building 3210, San Diego, 92136) Open to Navy personnel and family members.
- Friday, Nov. 17 at 7:00 p.m.: A Reason to Survive (Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 140 E. 12th St., Suite B, National City, 91950)
- Saturday, Nov. 18 at 6:30 p.m.: El Corazon Senior Center (3302 Senior Center Dr., Oceanside, 92056)
Free performances will also be held at Veterans Village of San Diego, San Diego Rescue Mission, South Bay Community Services/Chula Vista Promise Neighborhood, Father Joe’s Villages, Las Colinas Detention and Reentry Facility, and California State Prison, Centinela, but are not open to the public.
"Twelfth Night" reimagines the original backsplash of Illyria as a sunny, modern-day Southern California getaway for the rich. Viola, a Mexican immigrant who comes to the U.S. but is separated from her twin brother, Sebastian, in the process.
Viola disguises herself as a young man and goes to work for Orsino - who is in love with a wealthy heiress named Olivia. However, Viola quickly falls in love with him herself.
As Viola unintentionally gets herself and everyone around her into a mess, she addresses the audience in asides in Spanish, adding a bicultural twist to the Shakespeare play.