Dog's symptoms lead to meth poisoning diagnosis

Posted at 6:39 PM, May 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-18 10:36:54-04

IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. (KGTV) - A dog is apparently sickened after ingesting meth and neighbors in Imperial Beach say the incident is a symptom of a growing problem.

On Monday night, Janelle Wooster returned home from work and found Rivers - a one-year-old Golden Retriever mix - shaking his head uncontrollably and pacing back and forth. A family friend said he had been like that for several hours after playing in their fenced backyard.

Wooster rushed her dog to the vet. The dog developed a fever. After a blood test, Wooster says the vet told her Rivers' symptoms fit that of other dogs that had ingested meth. Turns out if Rivers had not be brought in, he likely would have died.  

"I'm angry that someone would toss something over our fence. My little dog could had died. My 3-year-old nephew could had died," said Wooster.

Wooster says her home - blocks from Mar Vista High - backs up to an alley and she's found alcohol bottles tossed into the yard before. Neighbors tell us the homeless are often spotted tossing trash into yards, including alcohol, drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Rivers is expected to survive but it's not clear if he will fully recover.

A Gofundme campaign has been set up to help with his vet bills, which now stand at $1,200.