Pennsylvania girl, 3, dies in fire blamed on hoverboard

Posted at 6:52 AM, Mar 13, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-13 10:53:25-04

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - Authorities say a 3-year-old girl died following a Pennsylvania fire that also critically injured two others and appears to have been sparked by a recharging hoverboard.

The Lehigh County coroner's office said Ashanti Hughes was pronounced dead at an area hospital just after 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

Harrisburg officials said one victim jumped from a second-floor roof to escape the blaze, which was reported shortly before 8 p.m. Friday. Three others were rescued by ladder. A man and another occupant of the home, a teenage boy, were treated and released.

Officials say the hoverboard was plugged in and charging before it caught fire.

Authorities said fire Lt. Dennis DeVoe was heading to the scene when his vehicle was hit in an intersection. The 21-year veteran of the Harrisburg fire department died Saturday.

The female driver that struck DeVoe fled but was later arrested.