(KGTV) — Following President Trump's announcement Saturday on the border wall and government shutdown, Democrats responded largely along the same lines, calling for a reopening of the government before any border discussions.
President Trump called his proposal a "common sense compromise both party's should embrace" with "lots of compromise."
His plan included $800 million in humanitarian assistance; $805 million for security technology at Ports of Entry; 2,750 new border agents and law enforcement officials; 75 new immigration judge teams to address immigration cases.
His proposal also included extending legislative relief for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients for three years and extending Temporary Protected Status for immigrants whose protections are facing expiration for three years as well.
The President also continued his demand for border wall funding, including $5.7 billion for 230 miles of construction of the wall in his plan. He claimed a "see-through steel barrier" would "quickly and greatly" crime, adding, "some say it could be cut in half."
Watch the President's announcement here:
Representative Mike Levin (D-CA) said furloughed federal workers should be getting their paycheck first before tackling border security, adding the President's proposal was limited in scope.
"President Trump's proposal only includes the most limited, temporary set of protections for Dreamers and individuals with Temporary Protected Status, not the permanent solution that is needed for Dreamers. It also still includes nearly $6 billion for the president’s wasteful, ineffective border wall, rather than smarter, more effective border security measures that I support, like increased technology at ports of entry," a statement from Levin said.
In a statement posted on Twitter, Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said President Trump's proposal was not a "good faith" offer.
"Unfortunately, initial reports make clear that his proposal is a compilation of several previously rejected initiatives, each of which is unacceptable and in total do not represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people's lives," Pelosi's statement read. "It is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the house, and taken together, they are a non-starter."
Democrats were hopeful that @realDonaldTrump was finally willing to re-open government & proceed with a much-needed discussion to protect the border. Unfortunately, reports make clear that his proposal is a compilation of previously rejected initiatives. https://t.co/MFwebWSevG pic.twitter.com/yMTm4iP27h
— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 19, 2019
Pelosi also called out the proposal's stance on DACA and TPS recipients, saying a permanent solution was needed instead.
Second-ranking Democratic Senator, Richard Durbin of Illinois, also said Trump's proposal was unacceptable.
"First, President Trump and Senate Majority Leader McConnell must open government today. Second, I cannot support the proposed offer as reported and do not believe it can pass the Senate. Third, I am ready to sit down at any time after the government is opened and work to resolve all outstanding issues," Durbin said in a statement posted to Twitter.
My response to reported White House offer to end President Trump's government shutdown in exchange for the border wall and DACA: pic.twitter.com/WhsJgRNW56
— Senator Dick Durbin (@SenatorDurbin) January 19, 2019
While Democratic leaders have largely rejected the porposal, Sen. McConnell has said he plans to take legislative action and put the proposal before the Senate.
"Everyone has made their point — now it's time to make a law," McConnell wrote in a statement. "The situation for furloughed employees isn’t getting any brighter and the crisis at the border isn’t improved by show votes. But the President’s plan is a path toward addressing both issues quickly."
Though even in the Republican controlled Senate, it may be difficult for the measure to get 60 votes and it would likely die in the House.