15-month-old boy missing in Amber Alert out of Los Angeles brought back to US from Mexico

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - A 15-month-old boy allegedly abducted by his father and taken to Mexico last week was delivered to authorities at the Mexico border by an uncle and an Amber Alert was canceled, authorities said.

Noe Reyna was turned over to officers of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at 2:45 p.m. the Otay Mesa border crossing by the uncle, who walked up with the boy, said Sgt. E. Yerkey of the Los Angeles Police Department's Hollenbeck Station.

"The father had the uncle deliver the boy," Yerkey said. The LAPD was contacted at 3:10 p.m. by Homeland Security and Hollenbeck detectives went to the border to pick him up.

The father may have learned that authorities were looking for him from media attention and his family may have helped convince him to return the boy, Yerkey said.

Noe was in the custody of the Department of Children and Family Services which had a warrant to remove the child from his home due to the parents' drug use, he said.

The boy's mother was notified of his recovery.

Social workers were due to pick up Noe Tuesday, which led to the alleged abduction by father Carlos Ivan Reyna Lara, 35, and the Amber Alert. He was believed to have taken the boy to the state of Sonora, Mexico.

Print this article Back to Top