SAN DIEGO -- A family in the South Bay wants to know how a large metal screw ended up in their son's food from Buffalo Wild Wings.
The family had dinner at the popular chain in the Otay Ranch Town Center Thursday night. On Friday afternoon, their 16-year-old son was eating his left over flatbread pizza.
"It just felt like there was something in my mouth that wasn't food," said the boy who did want to be identified. "There was something hard in my mouth,"
He said it didn't hurt, but the metal point put a small chip on the inside of his tooth. Ironically, he had just come home from the dentist.
"So felt like maybe the tooth filling came out or something, but it definitely felt larger than that," said the teen.
His dad heard him shriek from the other room.
"I heard him scream with the four letter word. I don't want to say, " said the teen's father.
An assistant manager told the family the company would notify its insurance.
When 10News first contacted the restaurant Monday, an assistant manager responded that "every once in a while, a screw falls out."
Later Monday, 10News went to the restaurant. When 10News brought up the assistant manager's initial comment, another manager clarified that the statement was incorrect. The manager stated that Buffalo Wild Wings does not use any machines in which a screw could fall out. The manager told 10News to contact corporate headquarters.
"I was really surprised and pretty disgusted that, that would happen at a restaurant we've been to so many times," said the teen.
His parents want the company to take the matter seriously.
"I was really, really mad because he could have swallowed it and we could have spent our day in the emergency room," said the boy's father.
Buffalo Wild Wings issued the following statement Monday:
Providing a great Guest experience is always our top priority. In the event that something happens to detract from that experience, we do whatever we can to remedy the situation. We are currently working with our vendors to determine if they could have been the source, and our management team is working with the Guest and his family to resolve the issue.