For the first time, the doctor accused of severely injuring several patients after their weight loss surgeries in Mexico spoke to Team 10 to share his version of events.
More than a dozen patients spoke to Team 10, accusing Dr. Mario Almanza of causing their injuries after surgery. Team 10 investigations found four patients who died after their procedures.
"Do you feel you are a safe doctor?" asked Team 10 Investigator Melissa Mecija.
"Yes," Dr. Almanza said in Spanish. His brother, Hugo Almanza, translated during Team 10's interview.
- Team 10: Mom of 5 latest to die after weight loss surgery
- Team 10: First formal complaints filed against weight loss doctor
- 4th U.S. patient dies after weightloss surgery with same doctor in Mexico
- Team 10 investigates agency booking weight loss surgeries in Mexico
- Team 10: Dozens injured during weight loss surgery in Mexico
- Woman in coma after botched surgery in Mexico
Dr. Almanza said he has performed more than 14,000 surgeries, and he told Team 10 the patients came forward to share their stories because one of his former employees was trying to extort him and ruin his name.
Watch Team 10 Investigator Melissa Mecija's full report in the video player above.