News

Actions

Space heater blamed for fire at Oceanside home

Posted: 1:00 PM, Jan 17, 2016
Updated: 2016-01-17 21:00:30Z
OCEANSIDE (CNS) - A fire at a two-story house in Oceanside, which injured one person and displaced seven occupants, was believed to have been caused by an electric space heater, Oceanside Fire Department officials said Sunday.
   
Damage was estimated at about $100,000.
   
"The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, and started in the garage when an electric space heater caught nearby clothing on fire,'' said Oceanside Fire Department Division Chief Felipe Rodriguez. Fire was reported at 3606 Amigos Court at 5:08 p.m.
   
Rodriguez said Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad fire departments were all calle din, and found a two-car garage fully aflame.
   
"Firefighters ensured that all occupants had evacuated the home and began extinguishing the garage fire, preventing it from spreading into the living area of the home,'' Rodriguez said. "The fire was under control within 15 minutes.''
   
Rodriguez said one person got minor burn injuries and was taken to Tri-City Medical Center for treatment. He said the other occupants found temporary lodging with friends or family.
   
Firefighters estimated $100,000 in damages to the structure and contents of the home. The remainder of the home, valued at about $514,000, was saved, Rodriguez said.