News

Actions

6 adults, 6 kids escape Lincoln Park house fire

Posted: 2:09 PM, Dec 25, 2015
Updated: 2015-12-25 23:45:04Z
SAN DIEGO -- A dozen people are safe after an early-morning fire on Christmas day that caused considerable damage to a home in Lincoln Park.
  
The fire was reported about 2:45 a.m. at the 200 block of 50th Street, according to San Diego Fire Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson.
  
"It was an electrical fire confined in the attic," Swanson said. "It started where the electrical line came in off the street into the eaves of the house and spread from there. There were six adults and six kids in the house. Everyone got out safely."
  
Swanson said a man in the home suffered a minor burn to his hand and was taken to an emergency room for treatment.
 
"I smelled fire, and how we knew the first time is we heard people knocking down our extinguishers,” neighbor Sade McNeely Bray said.
  
Those who were displaced by the fire had a place stay for the remainder of the night, Swanson noted, and the Red Cross will assist them in finding temporary housing.
 
"Hopefully everything can get situated and they can get back before New Year’s and bring in the New Year all together with a happy family,” neighbor Patrick Johnson said.
  
Damages were estimated to be about $100,000 to the home, and $20,000 to its contents, Swanson said.
  
"There were about 30 firefighters involved and it took them about 15 minutes to get the fire knocked down," he said.