Shark sighting prompts San Onofre beach advisory ahead of July 4 weekend

SAN ONOFRE, Calif. (KGTV) - A shark advisory has been issued at San Onofre State Beach, ahead of the July 4 weekend.

The 24-hour advisory was issued after an 8- to 10-foot shark was spotted by surfers at Old Man's Surfing Area just north of the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant, according to Camp Pendleton officials.

Visitors are asked to heed warnings posted on the beach during this time. No injuries have been reported in relation to the sighting.

RELATED: Shark researcher helps debunk shark myths

Information on the type of shark spotted was not immediately available.

Leanne Erickson was severely injured when a great white shark attacked her along the beach's shoreline on April 29.

The Vista mother underwent multiple surgeries to repair her right leg. Last week, doctors said Erickson's physical strength and outlook have helped to make a big difference in her recovery.

Surgeons called Erikson's wound one of the worst shark bites they had seen.

While she is still being treated, she is said to be doing well and may be able to return home soon to continue physical therapy.

RELATED: Beach closed after shark attacks woman off Camp Pendleton beach

"I think everything was aligned up perfectly because there were a lot of people there who could help her right away so that she would not have a lot of blood loss. And they got her here quickly," Dr. Gail Tominaga said last week.

Print this article Back to Top